To see the answers click on the questions below.
Will the BioMat help raise my core body temperature?
Yes, the active movement of body cells created when on the BioMat generates frictional heat and raises your body temperature. The amethyst far infrared rays of the BioMat, which have a short wavelength of 6.5 – 12um have deep penetration power and the elevated body temperature is maintained for about 8 hours after turning off the BioMat.
How will maintaining a higher core body temperature benefit me?
This assists the body by changing some physical properties.
A higher body temperature will facilitate blood circulation and activates more than 3,000 enzymes necessary for proper functioning and healing. If your body temperature rises by 1 degree C your enzyme activity will be increased by about 40% but if it drops by one degree C it will decrease your enzyme activity by 50%. This is why people with cold sensitivity may become ill more easily due to weakened immune systems. Core body temperature should always remain above 36 C or 96.8 F. Cancers thrive in low body temperatures. Raising your core body temperature if it is normally low also increases cardiovascular functions.
What are Heat Shock Proteins (HSP)?
Heat Shock Proteins are produced at the higher temperatures of the BioMat. This is a protein your body secretes to protect cells from heat and plays an important role in producing endorphins and enhancing your immune system by increasing production of T-cells, Natural killer cells (NK cells) and lymphocytes. HSPs also help to reduce fatigue and relieve pain. HSP are best produced when higher heat settings are employed for 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes at night with at least 8 hours between sessions. Prolonged exposure to high heat will not produce more HSP.
What are negative ions and what are their benefits?
Negative ions are molecules or particles that have more electrons than protons. Negative ions are generated in large quantities in clean, natural environments such as around waterfalls and pine forests. Dr. Burt Sakmann and Dr. Erwin Neher received the Nobel Prize in 1991 for their role in discovering how negative ions affect our metabolism. Without negative ions in our cells the cell channels will be closed and then nutrients cannot be distributed and the activity of cells will be reduced, resulting in pain. You feel pain when your brain detects electrical signals from positive ions. Negative ions also help to cleanse the blood of toxins, have a tranquilizing effect, and help you to recover from fatigue.
Can I obtain benefits from only the negative ions without using the heat settings?
The Amethyst Bio-Mat can also be used without Far infrared heat: simply turn it on
without setting a temperature This will provide only cooling negative ions.
How can I cushion the Biomat without interfering with the FIR rays ?
You can use a natural fiber blanket or comforter or other natural fiber material on top of the Bio-mat to make it more comfortable. Only natural fiber coverings are recommended so the Infrared waves can penetrate through.
How can I protect the BioMat from perspiration?
A waterproof pad is an available accessory or you can use a natural fiber towel placed over the BioMat pad.
Can the BioMat be used for pets?
Yes, at lower heat settings.
What is the benefit of the Amethyst Tourmaline Pillow ?
The Amethyst/Tourmaline Pillow keeps your head cool while your body gets warm and may be desirable for use with larger sized BioMats and when heating of the head is contraindicated. .Negative ions only are emitted from the pillow.
Are there harmful Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) surrounding this BioMat device and how do we protect against the effects?
Electric and magnetic fields (EMF) are areas of energy that surround any electrical device. The Richway company has built specialized state of the art technology into the BioMat and its controller that completely block all electromagnetic waves.
Will using the BioMat affect any of the medications I am taking?
The effects of some prescription drugs may be altered by Far Infrared therapy. Drugs that may be affected:
- - Corticosteroids; you may experience some redness of the skin. Should you experience redness, we recommend that you discontinue the use until you have completed your medication. Should your redness continue, consult with the health care professional who prescribed your medication.
- - Fentanyl a narcotic pain patch cautions in its instructions to not use a heat source (heating pad, heat lamp) when using the patch.
- - Uptake of injected, oral or transdermally applied medications or supplements may be increased when using the BioMat and adjustments to the dosage may be needed. Consult with a qualified health care provider about all products used. Medications (such as Insulin) may enter the body system more rapidly as the BioMat will increase circulation.
Are there any conditions or diseases that require that special care be taken when using the BioMat?
- Some authorities advise against the use of BioMat at high settings in conditions of severe adrenal fatigue such as Multiple sclerosis, Systemic Lupus Erythematous, or Addison’s disease. Use on lower heat settings has proven not to be a problem however.
- 1 - Use of the BioMat on high heat settings should be limited to short periods of time. Do NOT use high settings overnight. Lower temperature settings can be used overnight. For children and the elderly who may become dehydrated more easily it is important to make sure that they are protected.
- 2 - Acute Joint Problems; If a person has a recent (acute) joint injury, it should not be heated for the first 48 hours or until the hot and swollen symptoms subside. Use Ice initially.
- 3 - Infections; Vigorous heating is strictly contraindicated in cases of enclosed infections be they dental, in joints, or in any other tissues.
- 4 - Surgical Implants; Metal pins, rods, artificial joints, or any other surgical implants generally reflect infrared rays and are not heated by an infrared heat system. Keep the temperature setting below 110 degrees. A person should consult his or her healthcare provider before receiving such therapy and discontinue use if pain is experienced near any implants.
- 5 - Pacemakers; Use at the lowest (1 or 2 green) settings and check with a health care provider before using. Generally use of the BioMat will not affect pacemaker use.
- 6 - Silicone implants; Silicone does absorb infrared energy. Implanted silicone or silicone prostheses for nose or ear replacement may be warmed by infrared rays. Since silicone melts at over 200 degrees Celsius, it should not be adversely affected by an infrared heat system, however. It is still advised that a person check with his or her surgeon to be certain.
- 7 - Use during menstruation; Heating of the low-back area of women during the menstrual period may temporarily increase menstrual flow. This is not harmful but if increased flow is undesirable the use of BioMat can be avoided during menstruation. For most women Far Infrared energy helps to relieve and minimize the physical and emotional discomfort experienced in the pre-menstrual and menstrual period.
- 8 - Hemophiliacs and anyone predisposed to hemorrhage should avoid infrared usage or any type of heating that would induce vasodilatation that can lead to the tendency to bleed. Others with bleeding problems should be aware that use of BioMat may increase bleeding and consult with their healthcare worker or discontinue use if problems arise.
- 9 - Paralysis; people with various forms of paralysis may not be able to feel the effects of heat on their skin and should only use BioMat under supervision and on lower settings being careful to have someone to help them move and turn frequently and observe their skin condition for increased redness.
- 10 - Children and the elderly should use BioMat under supervision as their tolerance to heat may be decreased or they may be more prone to dehydration.
- 11 - Pain; increased pain should never be felt when using BioMat. This would indicate a problem or inappropriateness of BioMat use at that time. Discontinue use if an increase of pain persists for over 24 hours.
- 12 - Detoxification; If you are using the mat for detox from heavy metals or other toxins, mild symptoms may occur, such as headaches. Please consult with a certified Health Practitioner for any detox program.
- 13 - Pregnancy: In pregnancy or the suspicion of pregnancy, discontinuation of far infrared use is recommended, or use on low settings only.
- 14 - Worsening Condition: Should any condition worsen with the continued use of this infrared heat system, the use of the system should be discontinued. Some temporary symptoms, however, may be attributed to the detoxification and the healing process itself.
- 15 - In general Richway who make the BioMat recommend that diabetics, people with paralysis, pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers people who have had cardiac surgery and those who have pacemakers should use the BioMat on the lower settings only and consult their health care practitioners.
For more information on the benefits of the BioMat please see Dr. Sircus’ essay BioMat Thermotherapy Medicine Overview:
Please see the instruction booklet that comes with your BioMat for further information.